Monday, January 5, 2009

This is hard...

Wow, this is hard. After 2 1/2 years of talking about starting a new career, I finally followed my heart and took action in the spring of '08. This is where everything falls into place...right? This is where all the stars align in my favor...right? Yeah, whatever. Apparently, the road less traveled is not easier...who knew? I recently heard that 82% of America is unconscious--simply going through the motions. Ahh, to be one of the lucky ones.

I spent the first 40 years of my life doing just that; working hard on whatever career life tossed in front of me. I didn't think about much. I didn't think about what I really wanted. I certainly didn't think much about what other people wanted. It was all about making sure I had enough money to take care of me and then from there, "checking out" in one form or the other. Those were the good ole' days...weren't they?

The last four years have been different. They've been years of asking the big questions like, "What is my life all about?" and "What was I put on this planet for?" and wacky thoughts of "How can I be of service to others?". They've been years about not simply tolerating the status quo. They've been about growth and learning. Sure, it all sounds great and profound...but there's a price.

Once you open Pandora's Box, there ain't no closing it, friends. You are about to embark upon a journey of many ups and downs...of many failures because of the new risks you're taking...of many moments alone questioning yourself and envying those aforementioned lucky ones.

HOWEVER, this is where the adventure begins. When you choose to ask the tough questions and begin the practice of entering the unknown, I have found that this is where it starts. For this new journey of not knowing and continuing anyway...this is where the heart comes alive...this is where the juices start to flow...this is where you start becoming you--the you that you were born to be and have yearned to be for years!

If you're already on the journey, whatever you do, DON'T STOP! If you're thinking about starting...JUMP IN! I know, I know....it sucks! It's hard! It's much easier the old way! But trust me, it's not...it just seems that way. It's a lie from that old bad voice in our head that has always led us down the wrong path and doesn't want us to be truly happy. If you think that stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things is hard...try waking up 20 years from now and bathing in a tubful of regrets--reflecting on all of the things you thought about doing or wanted to try, but you didn't....NOW, that sounds hard!

Rather, listen to your heart...in fact, go deeper yet...listen to your soul. The answers you're looking for are there waiting, in fact, they've always been there. Keep asking the tough questions. Keep taking action toward what it is that speaks to your core. Commit to the journey and watch YOUR life unfold.

As Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) said in The Shawshank Redemption, "Get busy living or get busy dying".

6 comments:

Michael D. Warden said...

Right on, brother! Welcome to the sojourn.

Alissa said...

Ken- thanks for authentically putting life back into perspective. Why waste the time we have on the planet--I am so glad that I wake up every day and love my life (work included). Even so- there are always daily opportunities to fine tune! Keep doing what you are doing :) Alissa

Unknown said...

Perfect way to start the day...a reminder to keep what's in my heart on my mind. Thank you. cd

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new blog. You know you've already inspired me to make some changes in my life and I'm sure you'll affect many others' lives in a positive way!
Cheryl

Tricia said...

Yeah...but if it wasn't hard it wouldn't be any fun now would it.

Keep up the great work Ken!

Lindsey Irons said...

What a wonderful statement about looking for what's truly important in our lives and following our dreams. Thank you Ken. I am so proud of you for putting yourself out there....in many different ways!

All my prayers my dear friend.

L